Download & Print Resources with Tips & How Tos
- Reopening Safely: Helpful Tips for Small Business Owners (Main Street America)
General tip sheet for small business owners to help you through the reopening process, offering a starting point as you enter the first phase of recovery efforts. >>View PDF
- Recovery Readiness: A How-To Guide For Reopening Your Workplace (Cushman & Wakefield)
This guide outlines some of the best thinking practices and protocols as we all prepare to get back to work. >>View PDF
- CDC: Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting (9 page PDF) >>View PDF
Online References and Key Insights
- SBA Eases PPP Loan Penalty Threats Against Borrowers (May 13, 2020 - Harrington, Hoppe & Mitchell)
Some recipients of federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans have been concerned about potential penalties. New guidance today from the U.S. Small Business Administration clears up some of that concern, HHM lawyer SHAWNA L'ITALIEN writes. >>Read Article
- Will Businesses Get Immunity From Coronavirus Lawsuits? (May 12, 2020 - SHRM.org)
As more businesses make plans to reopen, lawmakers are split on whether to hold employers responsible for shielding workers from COVID-19. Some lawmakers want to protect employers from coronavirus-related lawsuits, but others are concerned such protection would lead to employers not taking proper steps to safeguard workers. >>Read Article
- 3 Tips for Properly Pivoting Your Business Model (May 7, 2020 - SCORE)
If your small business is ready to pivot its business model during this unprecedented time, here’s what you need to note before getting started. >>Read Article
- Marketing in Challenging Times (April 28, 2020 - Youngstown SCORE)
"...no matter the situation or circumstance, if your business is open, albeit in a diminished capacity, you have to stay connected to your customers." >>Read Article
- Employee Retention Credits vs. the Paycheck Protection Program (April 24, 2020 - Intuit)
For some business owners, the Employee Retention Credit might be what they need. >>Read Article
- How to Prepare to Reopen Your Business After COVID-19 (April 24, 2020 - Intuit)
- 3 ways to embrace e-commerce
- 3 ways to build a backup plan for your business
- 3 tips to help you reopen
Quick Reference Tools
- Quick Tip Poster from DOL: How much paid leave can employees take under FFCRA? >>View PDF
- OSHA Poster: 10 Steps All Workplaces Can Take to Reduce Risk of Exposure to Coronavirus >>View PDF
- CDC: Cleaning & Disinfecting Decision Tool (2 page flow chart) >>View PDF
- High Risk Populations FAQs COVID-19 (Ohio Dept of Health) >>View PDF
CARES Act Forbearance Fact Sheet for Mortgagees and Servicers of FHA, VA, or USDA Loans >>View PDF
Webinars to help you reStart
Pass It On- Business Transition Training - June 24 >
Pass It On- Business Transition Training - June 24, 2020 | Time: 10-11 AM
Over 70,000 businesses in Ohio are owned by people over 55. As these owners prepare for retirement, how will they plan for transitioning their business? Join us for a one-hour session to understand the process of business ownership transition and to learn about resources for small business succession planning. The session will have a special focus on transitioning businesses to employee ownership using a worker cooperative model.
A Simple Recipe for Social Media Success - June 24 >
A Simple Recipe for Social Media Success - June 24, 2020 | Time: 1-2 PM
Social media can be overwhelming and often feels like you’re just spinning your wheels. In a time of such uncertainty, it’s important to know where to be, how to be engaging, and how to get results - all with a limited amount of time and resources. In this webinar, Digital Marketing Expert Jenna Shaffer will provide a recipe for social media that saves time and gets results to grow your business.
Re-Entry Without Burning Up: Getting the Workplace Back to Normal - June 24 >
Re-Entry Without Burning Up: Getting the Workplace Back to Normal - June 24, 2020 | Time: 2-3 PM
Just because people return to the office doesn’t mean things will go back to the way they were. All of us will have to make adjustments to the “new normal,” just as soon as someone can tell us what that is.
In our time together you’ll learn:
- The biggest concerns managers (and their people) have about returning to the workplace.
- To identify and talk about what’s changed (and what hasn’t).
- How to re-build your team.
- How to use technology to move forward.
Talent Attraction and Retention: How to hire the best employees, but also retain them for the long-term - July 15 >
Talent Attraction and Retention: How to hire the best employees, but also retain them for the long-term - July 15, 2020 | Time: 2-3 PM
To become the best in the early and growth stage of business, it is essential to employ the best people. But how do employers attract the very best employees, who are ready and able to take an organization to the next level? Inspired by his New York Times Best-selling book, Building A Magnetic Culture, this inspiring keynote focuses on how to attract talented employees to the workplace, empower them, and sustain an environment in which they are uber-productive and more likely to stay. Given that we are in the midst of the tightest labor market in history, talent attraction and retention is paramount.
Topics covered include:
- Redefining Culture & Employee Engagement
- The bottom-line benefits of employee engagement
- Best practices you should be doing but are not – eliminate the regrets
- Recruiting: The Right Hire & How to Avoid the Mis-Hires
- The Top 10 Engagement Drivers and the related Best Practices
- The importance of embracing Diversity & Inclusion
- The missing “secret sauce” – FUN
- Creating an environment of shared ownership for engagement
Drawing on years of research and real-world examples from his 35 years of management consulting experience, Kevin Sheridan will give you the strategies and tactics you need to transform your organization by creating and maintaining a Magnetic Culture.
Attendees will learn:
- To fully understand and embrace the most updated definition of employee engagement.
- How to avoid the most common hiring mistakes.
- To discover and leverage the secrets of hiring right.
- To explore the top drivers of employee engagement (in order of importance) as well as related best practices.
- How to tailor their approach to talent attraction and talent retention: The importance of Diversity & Inclusion.
- To take advantage of the two secret drivers of employee engagement: FUN & Rebalancing Ownership For Engagement.
Who should attend:
- Leaders and managers
- HR and learning and development personnel
Kevin Sheridan is an internationally recognized Keynote Speaker, a New York Times Best Selling Author, and one of the most sought-after voices in the world on the topic of Employee Engagement. For five years running, he has been honored on Inc. Magazine’s top 101 Leadership Speakers in the world, as well as Inc.’s top 101 experts on Employee Engagement. He was also honored to be named to The Employee Engagement Award’s Top 100 Global Influencers on Employee Engagement for three consecutive years, as well as being designated as a Senior Fellow at The Conference Board.
Having spent thirty years as a high-level Human Capital Management consultant, Kevin has helped some of the world’s largest corporations rebuild a culture that fosters productive engagement, earning him several distinctive awards and honors. Kevin’s premier creation, PEER®, has been consistently recognized as a long-overdue, industry-changing innovation in the field of Employee Engagement. His first book, Building a Magnetic Culture, made six of the best seller lists including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. He is also the author of The Virtual Manager, which explores how to most effectively manage remote workers.
Kevin received a Master of Business Administration from the Harvard Business School in 1988, concentrating his degree in Strategy, Human Resources Management, and Organizational Behavior. He is also a serial entrepreneur, having founded and sold three different companies.
From Survive to Thrive: Critical Information Business Owners Should Know for Navigating the COVID-19 Crisis (Recorded) >
From Survive to Thrive: Critical Information Business Owners Should Know for Navigating the COVID-19 Crisis - Recorded May 20, 2020
In this webinar HBK CPAs and Associates, we will discuss a road map to help businesses survive, maintain, recover, and thrive, including helpful hints and tools that business owners should know.
Essential PR Tools and Tactics (Recorded) >
Essential PR Tools and Tactics- Elevate the visibility of your business while being sheltered in place - Recorded May 14, 2020
Promoting your business during the coronavirus outbreak presents unique opportunities. Now more than ever, the steps you take to promote your company, its work and products plays an essential role in ensuring its relevance and survival.
Road to Recovery: Strategies for Business Owners (Recorded) >
Road to Recovery: Strategies for Business Owners - May 14, 2020 | 2-3 PM
With the economic forecast uncertain, it can be difficult to plan and strategize. But there are steps business owners can take right now that could not only preserve, but strengthen their business for the future.
The 4 Key Things Businesses Should Be Focused on Right NOW (Recorded) >
The 4 Key Things Businesses Should Be Focused on Right Now — Recorded May 12, 2020
These are unprecedented times for business owners. The goal right now should be all about how we come out the other side of this crisis a smarter, stronger and more prepared business than we were before. This webinar will focus on the four areas of your business you should be focused on right now, to successfully traverse through these turbulent times.